a hidden gem
Hydalen valley - a hidden gem
Hydalen is a valley and a hidden gem, located behind the mountain Kyrkjebønøse (1900 m.a.sl.) north of the Hemsedal town.
Hydalen is surrounded by steep mountains and old pastures along the Hydals lake.
The area is protected (since 1989), in order to protect the natural fauna and the old pastures there.
Enjoy hiking and biking in calm and scenic surroundings. Are you lucky, you might spot some of our mystical creatures, who according to the folk beliefs, are living in this area.
You have some great lakes for fishing in Hydalen. These are private and you do the payment by a postbox by the lake.
- From Hemsedal town you drive west, to Tuv. Turn right into Grøndalen. Drive ca 5 km until you see a sigh to Harahorn Hotell and Vavatn. There you turn right and follow this road uphill.
- Remeber to bring change or your card, cause this road is a toll road (NOK 50,-)
- When you have passed the barrier you will soon be at the lake Vavatn. From here you follow the road along the lake till Vabuleino and the start of the Top 20 route to Ranastøngji.
- Now the swirling road down to the beautiful valley Hydalen starts.
- Be aware about your driving, cause now there will be a beautiful view over the area
- Watch out for cows and sheep in this area.